What is L2Pro?
The Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Engineering (IAO) in cooperation with the QUALCOMM Wireless Reach initiative are undertaking the L2Pro project, with the objective of helping small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to understand how best to extract value from the results of their Research and Development by effectively managing their intellectual property transactions. The L2Pro project is designed to allow SMEs get access to
- practical materials and supporting content at any time through a dedicated mobile/wireless device
- easy to use and commercially relevant information
- solution-oriented and structured answers to key questions, such as raising access to capital and licencing techniques
- networking and communication features, where users can meet each other and exchanges their experiences, enabling users to establish and increase their professional network.
L2Pro is free of charge.
The European Union (EU) and national governments are seeking to foster SMEs and encourage their investment and growth given that they represent more than 98% of European businesses. An important aspect, for innovative SMEs in the technology field is access the European and national patent systems in order to increase their ability to protect and market their innovations. SMEs need to attract and access financing, in order not only to be able to protect their innovations, but also to play competitively in a dynamic national, European and global environment.
Intellectual property rights (IPs) play a decisive key role and SMEs often have little time to understand how to use the IP system to derive value of their commercially viable ideas. The L2Pro initiative aims to address this problem by delivering a platform that will build up of IP-related knowledge in European SMEs.
The project’s philosophy corresponds to the EU 2020 Strategy philosophy, as well as the EU’s recent strategy for a Single Market IP, by highlighting the value of IP-based business models, favouring innovation and extracting value from R&D and IP to enhance consumer welfare and jobs growth – by helping SMEs to compete on markets that are increasingly global. It also puts the accent on the need for access to financing for SMEs and their innovations.
The project, the pilot phase of which is to be run in Germany and the UK, is scalable and can be run in any other region in Europe, as policy priorities are similar. It would result in the creation of a training platform which would remain available to the project partners, the local governments and the various patent offices after the initial phase is completed. Furthermore other organisations, such as the EPO Academy, the European Commission, national and regional authorities or even WIPO, may want to continue providing the access to and maintaining/extending the data base and pool of knowledge.
Wireless technologies would complement connectivity problems particularly in areas were fixed broadband penetration is week or non-existent. In certain regions in Bavaria (rural areas) and Scotland, this is particularly true. Wireless networks and in particular 3G and HSPA/HSPA+ would provide a viable alternative to bringing connectivity to SMEs operating in these regions. In addition, such technologies and training programmes focusing on educating SMEs, would enable access to existing content and initiatives which are not well enough communicated in these regions.
Advantages of L2Pro
L2Pro aims at:
- Helping the development of innovative business models.
- Getting you to ask the right questions of your business plan.
- Providing you with practical and legal information on the use of IP in supporting your business.
- Pushing your ideas to the market.
- Easing your access to finance.
- Creating a competitive advantage for your business in a global market place.
- Reducing your business risks.
- Getting you in contact with businesses and practitioners, including the finance sector.
Who is behind L2Pro?
L2Pro is an initiative of QUALCOMM, Wireless Reach, and Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Engineering (IAO):